Friday, December 4, 2009

White Space


Early In The Shoot, 8 ft Kino Flos
m
We did this massive photo shoot, but I think we were all so busy once the subjects showed up we don't have images of the masses we had to photograph...we only have shots of ourselves in the big open whiteness of Left Space Studios in SF.
m
Truth be told I had no idea how I was going to execute this massive photo shoot involving 45 people, but the photo editor seemed to trust me to come up with a plan.
m
So what was my plan? I think it was to essentially hire all the people that I always do who are so good at what they do and let them do their thing. Amos, Sz, Sjoen,Wong, and master of light, the new secret weapon Shaun Fenn.
m
Rocky start of the day, when our assumptions on how to make this image were not really working out. It just wasn't looking good. The masses are coming...they are in the hall....we just don't have it nailed down yet....a kind of panic seeps in. But I have this crew...they know how to do things. Maybe I should just keep my mouth shut, let them do their thing, and I'll go socialize with the subjects and try to get them comfortable with me. Will that work? It did.
m
With these large complex shoots, it does make me wonder: is it really just about hiring the people who know how to do the work? Is it that easy? You are the photographer, you do something as insignificant as push the button on an electronic device, as everyone else is doing complex and elaborate technical and social engineering to pull off the shot! Can I really take credit for this image? It really took everyone.
m


End of Shoot, The Large Whiteness of Left Space

No comments: